Friday 12 April 2013

Commando Dad: How to be an elite Dad or carer:

The front cover

Commando Dad:

AS I think I have made clear I am becoming a Dad, this is exciting and somewhat daunting, not scary, at least I don’t think so as I feel the wife and I made this decision and have prepared well for it. We could not have prepared for everything such as her hyperemesis gravidarum and her having to quit work but we work well as a team and have managed to counter the obstacles in our way.

IT was kind of a joke present but at the same time it could be a way for me to take on some information, this present was Commando Dad, a book for Dads. There are many books out there that try to cover this information and I always feel that they are not aimed at me and that they are aimed at irresponsible Dads who haven’t thought it through.

Commando Dad so far has done a good job. It is very nice to look at, there is a good range of pictures and it is well spaced which makes it more pleasant to read, more importantly the content is good.

As I imagine you would expect from the title and format of the book there is some humour and this makes a book about parenting a bit easier to read, don't get me wrong it is not laugh out loud funny but it will have you smiling and I did read it quite quickly, more so nearer the time of the birth than when I first got it as then it all seemed  so far away.

The book has plenty of helpful cartoon pictures on things such as how to hold the baby, how to change a nappy and things along those lines, thing we all know but there is no harm in having a Manley reference. He is also fairly good at admitting that he way is just one of many and just because this was the way he did it not to expect other opinions or to find a way that works for you.

So what does the book cover? Well it starts off in the obvious place of guiding you though some useful basics of how to set up the room. To be honest we already had everything set up and felt that what was included was pretty much common sense but then there are a lot of people lacking in that department so there is no harm in including it.

Then of course it is a case of guiding you through from birth to 3 years, the sections are actually broken up pretty well and just because he feels something should come first doesn't mean it only includes information for the first few months, rather it will include all the information but it is set out in a logical fashion.

I will not go through all the chapters but they include advice on sleeping patterns (some of which my wife did NOT agree with), feed baby, entertaining them and some basic things to watch out for from a medical point of view, which at the very least still hopefully stop you from panicking if something does happen.

Personally I do feel that it would be nice if he had put in a bit of information on labour, I know the book says from birth to 3 years but he does start off by talking about getting the room ready and I felt it would have been nice to have a man's perspective on what to expect at that time.

                                                                                                            
Overall it is a good  book with lots of information, the kindle price is pretty good but not sure I would pay full price for the book itself as too much of it was common sense or things that I already knew, never the less I did enjoy reading it.

http://www.commandodad.com/#1

No comments:

Post a Comment